Tuesday, September 15, 2009

Getting through the pages



To those who have taught me over the years, or to those who know the books that I read would be shocked to learn of the struggle I had first learning to read.  When I first started elementary school, like most children, I was not able to read very well. As First grade wore on, more and more kids began to read intorductoy level books such as Dr. Suess and Spot.  However, I found myself struggling to keep up with them and soon felt discouraged by my failures and was disinterested in all books.  Worried for my academic success, my father took strong measures to ensure I would surpass my peers. Everyday I would return home from school just to sit down with him and work on my reading skills. Day after day we worked, and slowly I leanred more words and combinations of words until finally I was able to read my first full book without assistance, Clifford the big Red Dog. With my new found success, I was greatly encourage to continue working.  Soon enough I began reading books for fun, trying to improve while also learning and having fun.  I found that reading articles and magizines publish about animals with accompaning pictures made reading even more enjoyable.  As the years progressed I continued my excess of reading and soon enough was ahead of not only my classmates in abaility, but my entire age group as well.  By the fourth grade I was reading books well ahead of my age, often times three or four years ahead.  I continued this pace until I reached high school upon which I began to actively participate in clubs and athletics. When I would return home at night from school, I would be drained of energy and would only do what was required to pass my classes.  The days of reading extra soon faded away and I began to loose my ability to read on an advanced level. Not until senior year did I begin to work on improving my abilties. Worried for college and my AP Composition class, I once again began to read more intensely.  I mangaged to rise to the top of my english class and received the highest grade on my final AP composition test, thanks to my supreme reading skills.  From my hard work and effort I learned the importance of continually pushing yourself beyond what your ordinarily thought possible and the necessity of staying true to your goals and not backing down.


Word Count: 416

4 comments:

  1. I think thats great that you and your dad worked together. My mother and I worked on my reading when I was young too. I think when you get support and help from your parents it boosts your confidence and it makes you want to do even better.

    ReplyDelete
  2. When I was younger, it was almost my oldest sister that had "the brains" and was really into reading. I figured since she was good at school, I would find my own thing I was good at. First grade came around, and my reading was at a much lower level too. In second grade my confidence was boosted when I helped somebody read a book. I agree, extracurricular activities wear you down! I got in the habit of getting by with just enough too. Now that we are in college, that plan won't work! Also, I would only read magazines in the library that were National Geographic. When we are young, I think we all wanted to be a teacher or vet, so the animal magazines defiantly made things more enjoyable!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Reading your story made me think of my own. My mom helped me read just as your dad helped you. I too would come home and my mom would read books with me every day. Until I could read the book The Very Hungry Caterpillar myself like you read Clifford The Big Red Dog. Being able to finally read on my own gave me the same encouragement you had to continue to read. I think that is wonderful that your dad encouraged you to read because now you enjoy reading and you are good at it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. My father was also worried about my academic success. He would try anything and everything to try to get me interested in reading. He tried comic books and, also tried making me read Clifford the Big Red Dog. Nothing seemed to work until I was forced to lean because of Instant Messenger. Slowly I began to get attached to books that had pictures and writing in them as well. It made reading for me a lot more enjoyable and helped me connect visuals to what I was reading. I also took AP composition in high school and it helped me with my writing a lot too!

    ReplyDelete