Tuesday, November 3, 2009

School's Ups and Downs

When I was a senior in high school, the time when most kids are most tired of learning and want nothing more than to be done, my English teacher got me to re-focus and prepare for the rest of my life. With a dry sense of humor and sharp wit, he was able to strengthen my writing abilities, a subject I previously struggled in. He also provided the structure and guidance no other teacher had ever afforded me. My confidence grew and by the end of the year I rose to the top of my class and earned my first five on an AP test. Because of this, I placed out of entry level English in college and allowed me to write stronger essays in my other classes.

My worst experience in schooling came in he fifth grade during algebra lessons. I failed two tests in a row and was forced to have my parents sign them. After getting yelled at, I was forced to take extra lessons to improve my grades. These lessons occurred during recess, my favorite time of day. Having to sit inside and listen to everyone outside running around, playing kickball, and playing tag was at the time the hardest thing I had ever had to endure. Everyone came in laughing and sweating, while I sat there waiting to continue learning.

word count: 225

No comments:

Post a Comment