Sunday, October 18, 2009

The Core To a Better Life

Lyndon Novotny


Every year I travel with my family to a different vacation spot. We try to go to different states and altering terrain. We always stay in a resort house, but end up either outdoors or visiting local spots of attraction. Because we spend so much time together, there is always sure to be disputes, arguments, or accidents that shape the trip. On one particular vacation, my mom set the oven on fire and was upset the rest of the week. Since the rest of the family found it so amusing, she was bitter and resentful towards us. However, since we are so close and compatible, we were able to joke and laugh about the incident without anyone getting upset. In fact, as the years go on, a vacation such as this draws us closer and helps us bond with each other.

On a more personal and daily level, family dinner is an essential part of our household. Growing up, there were only a few times when we would not eat together. By doing so, you have a chance to share stories, ask for advice or simply enjoy each other’s company. This is where my brother and I learned life lessons, morals, and proper conduct to help us succeed in life.

By spending time valuable time with my family while growing and developing, I feel that I was able to become a stronger individual, as well as a better friend to those around me. I believe that our surroundings shape and guide us for the future.

I believe in a strong family core.


Word count: 262

3 comments:

  1. I also believe that having a strong family core is important. My family too takes trips in the summer but we usually go to Nicaragua to visit family. And just like your family we always laugh about past trips that make us bond while laughing together. My family means a lot to me to I can always turn to them in times of trouble.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I spent an entire summer in Korea with only my older sister. Being apart from my parents and brother was great at first, but the distance "made the heart grow fonder". I've had moments where I would really miss them, seeing my family in Korea and their children altogether, I longed nothing more than to be back in the States in the presence of my own family. Korea was great, but I learned that no friend or family member can compare to the love you feel from your own.

    ReplyDelete
  3. When I was a child my family also believed in a strong family core. We would always eat dinner together and things like that. But as time went on and people started to become busy with jobs and schoolwork that core sort of melted away. Fortunately my mother decided family vacations were necessary before I left home for college and it was one of the best summers I have ever had.

    ReplyDelete